Thursday 25 November 2010

Talking to the Tax Man



I promised I'd update on business issues as well as crafting, so those of a nervous disposition when it comes to matters of self-employment and tax should probably look away now.

For those of you with strong stomachs who are still with me, I registered as self employed with Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs today.  And it took...wait for it...less than 5 minutes.  Yay me, and more importantly, yay to the nice tax man.

I went to a seminar organised by the tax office earlier this year, when I first thought of starting up my own business.  The man who ran the seminar was really helpful, explaining how to register, what happens to National Insurance, and how/when you do your tax returns.  He recommended registering on the phone rather than online, and it was so quick and easy that I was ridiculously impressed.  So my papers are on their way, I understand what I need to do and when, and that's a big tick made on my list of things to do.

And a virtual bouquet to HMRC for making it so very easy.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new self employed status! As a former employee of said HMRC it so nice to hear someone say lovely things about them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even more evidence that behind the imposing front of HMRC, it is staffed by lovely (and even crafty) people who are doing their best to help!

    I really do recommend the seminar to anyone who needs help with tax returns and NI. We were a mixed group of full-time and part time self employed workers, plus some people who were employees as well. Everyone's questions were answered fully, no one was made to feel silly, and I came away really confident about what was needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my OH went to one of these when he started his business just over 6 years ago, he said it was invaluable too.

    Think I'm going to have to follow you - spent most of my lunch reading through your exciting new venture ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck Carmen - although I'm a tad nervous, it's so exciting to be finally working for myself. Looking forward to hearing about what you do.

    ReplyDelete